Squash seeds are just as tasty as their pumpkin cousins. Here’s a simple way to make the most out of your winter squash. Use these as a garnish on squash soup or save them for snacking! This recipe will work particularly well with the butternut squash coming in this week’s box.
Olive or organic canola oil (about 1 tablespoon per cup of seeds)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300*.
2. Clean the seeds, removing any bits of squash.
3. Dry the seeds on a paper towel.
4. Toss the seeds with oil in a bowl, making sure to coat them thoroughly. Also add a couple generous pinches of salt.
5. Spread the seeds on a baking sheet without too much overlap. Roast seeds in the oven. Check them after 10 minutes, stirring them or rotating the baking sheet. Cook another 10-15 minutes. Start checking them in the last 5 minutes to ensure they don’t burn.
6. When the seeds are done, sprinkle them with the spices and toss them in a bowl. Allow to cool and enjoy!